Joe Anderson, CFP®, President of Pure Financial Advisors, and Pure’s Executive Vice President and Director of Research, Brian Perry, CFP®, CFA, discuss where the financial markets are now and the challenges ahead of us. Following the presentation Joe and Brian answer attendee questions.
Click to download Brian Perry’s full slide presentation.
00:00 – Intro
02:47 – Economies Starting to Reopen
04:00 – Initial Jobless Claims Improve Slightly
05:06 – Stocks Have Recovered Somewhat
06:15 – Oil Prices Off Their Lows
07:06 – Challenges Ahead: Shorter Term Impacts
08:05 – The Economy: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
10:24 – Revising the April 2020 Conference Board Economic Forecast
11:58 – Types of Bear Markets: Structural, Cyclical and Event-Driven
14:17 – Challenges Ahead: Longer-Term Impacts
16:47 – US National Debt
19:51 – US Inflation Rate
20:46 – US Tax Rates
22:05 – Coronavirus Related Distributions and Roth Conversions: quick overview of new rules associated with rolling an IRA to a Roth IRA. Is there a case to make this move?
26:01 – Is this a good time to invest in a primary residence or should I remain in my rental?
27:45 – How will COVID-19 impact the November election? If Joe Biden wins, what financial and economic changes can we expect? (Craig)
29:24 – How will the impending insolvency issues with Social Security be impacted by the high national debt?
31:17 – If the Coronavirus surges again in the fall, and if it is worse than this spring, what will be the effect on the market?
34:49 – Has there been much discussion about a value-added tax (VAT) to repay the national debt?
35:37- What does and doesn’t keep you awake at night?
Watch the previous market update webinar (April 21, 2020): Most Commonly Asked Market Volatility Questions
Subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Read Brian Perry’s new e-book, Retirement Revamp: Financial Planning in Times of Crisis
• Investment Advisory and Financial Planning Services are offered through Pure Financial Advisors, Inc. A Registered Investment Advisor.
• Pure Financial Advisors Inc. does not offer tax or legal advice. Consult with a tax advisor or attorney regarding specific situations.
• Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice and are not intended as investment advice or to predict future performance.
• Investing involves risk including the potential loss of principal. No investment strategy can guarantee a profit or protect against loss in periods of declining values.
• All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, we make no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
• Intended for educational purposes only and are not intended as individualized advice or a guarantee that you will achieve a desired result. Before implementing any strategies discussed you should consult your tax and financial advisors.