Market update, commentary, and answers to client questions from Tuesday, April 7, 2020 with Pure Financial Advisors’ Executive Vice President and Director of Research, Brian Perry, CFP®, CFA and special guest, Apollo Lupescu, PhD, Vice President of Dimensional Fund Advisors.
00:00 – Introduction
Apollo Lupescu Interview:
02:28 – The human element: how are investors feeling about financial markets these days?
09:05 – The underlying structure of the financial markets and the overall health of the financial system: how are markets functioning under all the stress?
14:31 – Can we look to the past for guidance and lessons on how to cope with the current situation?
24:48 – Stocks are down. What’s happened in the past when markets have fallen?
36:02 – Rebalancing and tax-loss harvesting
38:46 – The market has seemed to ignore the national nebt. The debt is increasing rapidly, especially these days. What will happen when/if the market starts paying attention to the debt?
43:03 – As part of rebalancing portfolios, is there consideration for overweighting sectors that “should” rebound after being beaten down more than perceived value and incorporating risk of things like bankruptcy?
44:08 – The S&P 500 index is now down 17.6% year-to-date after yesterday’s 7% gain. Our portfolio is only 40% Equity and 60% Fixed and our combined portfolio (including cash holdings) is still down 12.3% (since 2/21/20) after yesterday’s market close. What has been happening to the Fixed investment side?
51:35 – With people staying in place and not planning travel in the near future or even forego travel for years. What do you see the travel and leisure industries performing in this situation? What do you foresee happening in the real estate market in the near term? Is this a poor time to think about purchasing a home? What sectors do you see performing best over the next 12-24 months?
57:24 – What strategies should be employed if inflation, which we haven’t seen much of during the past few years, rears its head? What’s your sense of inflation becoming an issue?
59:21 – Close
• Investment Advisory and Financial Planning Services are offered through Pure Financial Advisors, Inc. A Registered Investment Advisor.
• Pure Financial Advisors Inc. does not offer tax or legal advice. Consult with a tax advisor or attorney regarding specific situations.
• Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice and are not intended as investment advice or to predict future performance.
• Investing involves risk including the potential loss of principal. No investment strategy can guarantee a profit or protect against loss in periods of declining values.
• All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, we make no representation as to its completeness or accuracy.
• Intended for educational purposes only and are not intended as individualized advice or a guarantee that you will achieve a desired result. Before implementing any strategies discussed you should consult your tax and financial advisors.